We lose 78 Americans every day to opioid overdoses. They are more deadly than car crashes. I have been a leader in Congress to:
- Provide critical tools for law enforcement to combat the drug dealers who prey on those battling addiction.
- Make life-saving overdose reversal drugs available to first responders.
- Improve treatment options for those fighting addiction.
- Help babies born addicted to opioids to get treatment.
- Change the practice of over-prescribing pain medication while ensuring effective pain management for people struggling with chronic ailments.
In May of 2016, the House passed a package of bills to address the heroin and opioid crisis, including my bill, HR 4641, that establishes a task force comprised of people with chronic pain and in recovery, medical providers, hospitals, state medical boards, pain advocacy groups, and federal agencies involved in oversight of pain management and the prescribing of pain medication.
I was a member of the Special Conference Committee of select members of Congress who finalized a comprehensive bill to address substance abuse, specifically focused on heroin and opioids, that was signed into law in July. I will continue to fight for Hoosier families who have suffered through the loss of a loved one and for those who are battling addiction.